Do you ever wonder what to write in a birthday card? What are those “just right” words that will make the reader laugh, smile or feel inspired and appreciated? What do you say instead of simply “Happy Birthday?” We rounded up a few ideas to get you started on crafting the perfect birthday card message that will make your recipient happy. You’ll find funny, cute, inspirational and sentimental birthday card messages. Pick your favorite or combine a couple!
Funny Birthday Sayings
Maybe you don’t want to just wish the person a happy birthday; you want to make them laugh, too. It could be a momentous birthday year, or perhaps the person doesn’t always look forward to birthdays. Whatever the reason, adding some humor to the occasion might be just the ticket. Here are some funny birthday sayings from which to choose.
- Welcome to the [20s, 30s, 40s, etc] club! We have the best parties!
- Age is just a number—how far can you count?
- Welcome to [age]. Same song, second verse!
- You’re only as old as you feel! (At least that’s what I keep telling myself!)
Inspirational Birthday Wishes
Inspirational birthday wishes are great for when someone is experiencing a special milestone birthday, like a sweet 16, a “legal adult” age of 18 or 21 or the retirement age of 65. An inspirational message welcomes them to their new life and celebrates the adventures to come. Here are a few to get you started on your card’s message.
- This is your year!
- It’s another great year ahead!
- Wishing you a wonderful 365 days full of all your dreams coming true.
- Cheers! You’re 21!
- Welcome to adulthood! Get ready to vote and make your voice heard!
- This is just the first day of what will be an amazing year!
Cute Birthday Messages
A cute birthday message is fun to include in a card for anyone. You can write something to make the birthday person feel good about themselves on their day or to express your excitement for the upcoming birthday celebration. Here are some examples of cute birthday wishes:
- You’ve grown up so fast! Happy Birthday!
- Cheers! Have a great day – and year!
- Here’s to you!
- You make [age] look good!
- So proud to celebrate you and everything you’ve become on this special day.
Sentimental Birthday Wishes
If you have a close relationship with the birthday guest of honor, you might want to write some sentimental birthday wishes in the card. Are they one of your best friends? Your spouse or partner? A personal message is the ideal way to convey to them your gratefulness for their presence in your life. After all, everyone likes to hear words of appreciation.
- Thank you for being such a thoughtful friend. You’re definitely one worth celebrating!
- We’ve shared some wonderful times together! Looking forward to many more!
- Celebrating you is my favorite thing to do.
- I’ll always look back on our memories fondly! Here’s to making more this year!
- I’m so glad we are friends!
These ideas are just the jumping off point. Get creative and brainstorm your ideal birthday card message suited for your friend or family member. Add a personal comment after these messages or personalize one of these to suit the guest of honor.
If you need a perfect birthday gift to go along with the card, the Happy Birthday Gift Card is an excellent choice. It can be used at multiple stores and restaurants. That way, the birthday person can pick out exactly what they want for their birthday. Whether the card is for your parent or co-worker, there’s something for everyone.
Show up with the perfect gift every time.
Join Happy Gifting and get timely gift ideas delivered to your inbox.
More Gift Guides & Inspiration
Happy Gift Cards issued by MetaBank, Member FDIC. Card valid only in the US, no cash or ATM access. Use your Happy Gift Card to purchase goods and services at locations listed on card.