Happy Cards are a new way of giving. You can celebrate special occasions with a gift card that can be used at multiple stores and restaurants. If you were given a Happy Card, you might have questions about how to use it. We’ll answer those questions here. You can use the table of contents below to jump to a section that answers your question.
- What Are Happy Cards?
- What’s the Difference Between Standard and Swap Happy eGift Cards?
- How to Redeem a Happy Card
- Can Happy Cards Be Used To Make Online Purchases?
- What Is the PIN and Zip Code for a Happy Card?
- How to Check the Balance on a Happy Card
What Are Happy Cards?
Happy Cards are multi-store gift cards. That means every Happy Card can be used at a variety of stores and restaurants. Each Happy Card has a theme – Beauty, Dining, Birthday, etc. – and the brands on the card are curated to suit that theme.
A Happy Card can be used at any brand whose logo is featured on the card.
What’s the Difference Between Standard and Swap Happy eGift Cards?
Happy Cards come in two varieties: Standard Happy Cards and Swap Happy eGift Cards.
A Standard Happy Card resembles a credit card – it’s plastic and has a 16-digit card number, an expiration date, a CVV number and a magnetic strip on the back.
A Swap Happy eGift Card is either a physical “pack” with a card number and a PIN hidden under a protective coating or a digital code sent electronically. The front of the pack will say “Online Redemption Required”.
Standard Happy Cards are designed to be used at a physical location like a store, restaurant or shop. They aren’t designed to be used online.
Swap Happy eGift Cards are redeemed online for electronic merchant gift cards. Those cards can then be used at the merchant’s physical location or (generally) online at the merchant’s website.
How to Redeem a Happy Card
The process for redeeming a Happy Card is different for Standard Happy Cards and Swap Happy eGift Cards. We’ll break down the process step-by-step for each Happy Card type.
How to Use a Standard Happy Card
Standard Happy Cards resemble a credit card and are designed to be used in-store. When paying for your items (or your meal, if you’re at a restaurant), follow these steps:
- Give the gift card to the cashier or swipe it through the credit card machine
- Run the payment as a credit card
- You’re done!
Notice that the gift card MUST be run as a credit payment. A Happy Card is not a credit card and you do not need to use a credit card during this payment process. However, in order for the system to accept the payment, a Happy Card must be run as credit. As long as you do that, your payment should be accepted.
If you’re asked for a pin or CVV code, use the 3-digit code on the back of the Happy Card.
If your purchase amount is greater than the balance on the Happy Card, the cashier will need to split the transaction between two different forms of payment. This is called a “split tender”. Here’s how to do that:
- Use the Happy Card as your first form of payment
- Pay the remaining amount with another form of payment, such as cash or debit card
As a reminder, Happy Cards can only be used in the U.S.
How to Redeem a Swap Happy eGift Card
If you received your Happy Card as an email or if the Happy Card says “Online Redemption Required”, you have a Swap Happy eGift Card. Follow these steps to redeem it:
- Go to redeem.happycards.com in a web browser (you can do this on your phone, tablet or computer)
- Enter your card number and PIN
- Your card number and PIN will be in the email receive or can be found on the back of your card. The PIN is hidden underneath a privacy shield. (Just scratch off the coating.)
- Click “Redeem Card”
- You’ll see all of the brands the Happy Card can be used for. Choose which brands you want to receive an e-gift for and how much of your balance you want to use for that brand.
- After submitting your selections, you’ll receive an email for each eGift you chose. For example, if you opted to use your Happy You card to get an AMC e-gift and a Macy’s e-gift, you’ll receive emails with each eGift.
- You can then print out the eGift card and use it at the store. Alternatively, most merchants also will allow you to use it to pay for an online purchase. Make sure you read the brand’s eGift card instructions so you know exactly how to use it.
As a reminder, Happy Cards can only be used in the U.S.
Can Happy Cards Be Used To Make Online Purchases?
Standard Happy Cards are not designed to be used online. Swap Happy eGift Cards are redeemed online and “swapped” for eGift cards for the brands on the Happy Card. Those e-cards can be used in a physical store or restaurant location or (for most merchants) at the merchant website.
There are some retailers who accept Standard Happy Cards as an online payment. However, this is not typical. If you rely on online shopping, we suggest going with a Swap Happy eGift Card.
See the section How to Redeem a Happy eGift Card on this page for instructions on redeeming your Swap Happy Cards. You can also see more details plus answers to other questions about using Happy Cards online in our guide here.
What Is the PIN and Zip Code for a Happy Card?
When using your Happy Card, you might be asked for a PIN or zip code. Where can you find those numbers?
If you have a Standard Happy Card – it has a 16-digit number, an expiration date, a CVV number and magnetic strip on the back – then you might need to enter the 3-digit CVV code at checkout. If asked for your zip code, enter your local area zip code.
If you have a Swap Happy eGift Card – it says “Online Redemption Required” on the front – then your PIN is hidden under a protective coating on the back of the card. Scratch off the coating to reveal your PIN. If asked for your zip code, enter your local area zip code.
Happy Cards are not actually linked to a particular zip code, so you don’t have to worry about entering the wrong zip code.
How to Check the Balance on a Happy Card
If you have a Standard Happy Card that resembles a credit card – it has a 16-digit card number, expiration date, and CVV code – you can check the balance here: https://cardholder.happycards.com/check-your-balance
If you have a Swap Happy eGift Card with a card number and PIN, you can check the balance here: https://cardholder.happycards.com/redeem-online-check-your-balance
Have more questions about Happy Cards? We’re here to help. Visit the guides linked below or view our Frequently Asked Questions page.